Monday, June 9, 2008

Homeschool conference...and a surprise!

Ok, now I'll backtrack a little. Every year Mom, Jamey, and I go to the homeschool conference in Winston-Salem. I love it! I meet my friends there, and we hang out together for most of the three days we're there. We eat lunch and dinner together, and when we're bored we find a corner and talk. There are speakers and a book fair, but the book fair has more than just books. I could spend forever in there! It's the one time when I buy some fun things that I wouldn't normally buy. All of the speakers were really good this year! I learned a lot. Most people stay in one of two hotels beside the convention center, but my great aunt and uncle live about 15 minutes away, so we stay with them. I could go into further detail, but the pictures pretty much say it all. There were lots of good pictures, but I tried to just choose the best ones.
Our Starbucks date in Joelle's hotel room


From left to right: Elise, Kelsey, Alex Joelle

In Kelsey's hotel room during our lunch break

The amazing galaxy lab goo! We had entirely too much fun with it. :) We found it in the book fair and couldn't resist.

Jamey's friend Justin stayed with us. Here we are playing ping pong.

Taking a break! (On the left is Anna, Elise's sister)

Now for the surprise, we have a Korean exchange student staying with us this summer! He got here on Saturday. His English name is Brandon, and he's 11. He's so sweet! I love him already. His English is very good; he has an amazing vocabulary! He's been having a good time so far. He and the boys have been playing lots of games, and he's even been teaching us some Korean words! Right now he and mom are at the store getting rice. Here's a picture of the two of us. He brought me 2 gifts, a fan and a mirror, so that's what I'm holding. Wasn't that thoughtful? He'll be here for three months, so we're doing school through the summer and taking a break in the fall. Consequently, today was my first day as a junior!

4 comments:

hakucho said...

Your conference looks like so much fun. Glad you had such a good time!

Sounds like you'll be having a lot of fun with your exchange student. It will be fun learning all about Korea.
I imagine your mom will learning how to cook some Korean dishes, too!

Enjoy :)

joelle said...

Wow, the conference seems like a long time ago! It was soooo much fun hanging with you guys!

That's a great surprise! How fun!

magnoliasntea said...

You're really having a full summer! Sounds like you had a terrific time at the conference. Good for you!

We had a Japanese college student for two months several years ago & loved it. We all learned so much & had a fun time together. Here's big:
Hello & welcome to the U.S.A. to Brandon!! :)

And, Happy homeschooling, JUNIOR!! :)

The Gaines family said...

Oooh! That sounds FUN! Glad you had fun and a suprise guest! Wow, you have a Korean teacher that's younger than you! Love, Austin P.S Have you gotten any letters? I have a new pen-pal!